“Praise him, you highest heaven and the water above the sky. Let them praise the name of the Lord because they were created by his command. He set them in their places forever and ever. He made it a law that no one can break” (Psalm 148:4-6 GW).
Someone may have told you at one time that the Bible isn’t scientifically accurate. That person is wrong. He or she has either never studied the Bible or never studied science.
God set up the laws of science; he made sure that his Word doesn’t contradict those laws.
Johannes Kepler, the famous mathematician and astronomer, once said, “Science is simply thinking God’s thoughts after him.” In other words, God established the laws of physics, and then we discover them.
The Bible wasn’t meant to be a scientific textbook. You don’t study the Bible to build a rocket. And the Bible doesn’t use scientific language. But the Bible never gives bad science! Not once during the 1,600 years in which the Bible was written does it give bad science. In fact, it’s always ahead of science.
- For thousands of years, people believed that the earth was flat. But God said 2,600 years ago in Isaiah 40:22 that God is enthroned above the sphere of the earth.
- For thousands of years, people believed something held the earth up. Hindus believed huge elephants did it. The Greeks believed Atlas did it. The Egyptians believed five columns held the earth up. The Bible never says that anything is holding the planet up.
- For thousands of years, people believed that the number of stars were finite. But Jeremiah 33:22 says the number of stars can’t be counted.
In 1861 a very famous book came out called “Fifty-one Incontrovertible Proofs that the Bible is Scientifically Inaccurate.” Today, you can’t find a single scientist on the planet who would agree with any one of those “incontrovertible facts.” They’ve all been disproved by science.
The Bible says, “Praise him, you highest heaven and the water above the sky. Let them praise the name of the Lord because they were created by his command. He set them in their places forever and ever. He made it a law that no one can break” (Psalm 146:4-6 GW).
You can’t say that the second law of thermodynamics works today but not tomorrow. It always works because it is true and made by God.
Truth doesn’t change.
Talk It Over
- What truths from the Bible confirm what you see all around you in nature? Take time to search for those truths today.
- How do you respond when someone says the Bible is scientifically inaccurate? How do you think God wants you to respond?
- Why do you think it’s important to be able to argue that the Bible is scientifically accurate?